Sunday, March 15, 2015

Clash

I finally found him. He was walking down the street with two other people, a guy about his age, and a woman. I texted Mute immediately and began pursuing them, staying hidden as best I could. Mute showed up after a while, on the other side of the street. He was hidden from their view, but from where I was I could tell he was there. I soon noticed that Daniel was being extremely observant of his surroundings. I began suspecting that he was on to us. After walking for a couple miles, they stopped and began talking amongst themselves. I texted Mute that it was time to act, and we stepped out into the open, approaching them.
They noticed us, and Daniel began grinning upon seeing me, and began walking toward me until we were a couple feet apart. As he did, he summoned that wakizashi to his hand. I'm still not sure how he does that.
“Devil Killer,” I said.
“Puppy Dog,” he replied.
“Daniel!” the other man called.
Daniel looked over his shoulder at them.
“You should be good,” he said. “It's me they want.”
He was right. I had no intention of doing the others any harm. But if necessary, I would.
“So,” he said, facing me again. “We doing this or what?”
I gripped my bat, which I had been carrying, with both hands. Then I attacked. He kept his sword sheathed, using it to defend himself. Then he started getting offensive. I took a few hits. I swung my bat, in an attempt to counter attack, but he drew his sword quickly and knocked it from my hand.
“So, you gonna stop holding back?” he asked me.
I drew my khopesh.
“That depends. Are you?” I said.
We began sword fighting. It lasted for maybe a minute before we knocked the swords out of each other's hands. He simply summoned his sword back to him and raised it to my throat. Stupid teleporting sword...
Seeing me at a disadvantage, Mute slipped out of his coat and prepared to fire his weird techno claws at Daniel. He failed. The woman is stronger then she looks, and managed to pin Mute to the ground with little effort. All that commotion caught Daniel's attention, and I took advantage of the distraction by drawing my shotgun and aiming it at he. He turned back to me and knocked the gun aside just as I was pulling the trigger. A bit of the shrapnel cut his leg, but other then that, he took no damage. My gun is a twin barrel, so I had one more shot left in it before I'd need to reload. I drew my bayonet with my free hand and slashed at him. He blocked it and kicked me away from him. I fell to the ground. I got back up and attached the bayonet to the end of my gun. By the time I had, he had sheathed his sword and drawn his own gun. IT was then that the Apostles arrived.
I'm sure they were watching the whole time, but now they had chosen to come forward. Ten of them, total. I didn't see Nick anywhere, and another was missing. I think it was Joseph Krell. They surrounded us in a large circle. Daniel suddenly jumped to the side and fired his gun right next to my face, and I freaked out a bit and fired my remaining barrel where he had just been. I'm sure there's a premature ejaculation joke in there somewhere... After he did that, he tossed his gun and sword to his friends, and quickly equipped his brass knuckles to his left had and drew a switchblade in his right.
“Who the hell are you guys?” Daniel asked.
I was somewhat tempted to say “Hell? Funny you should mention that...” but I bit my tongue. Not the best time for cheesy jokes.
“Don't mind us,” Adon said. “My name is Adon, and we are the Apostles.”
I felt a little peeved at them. I wanted Daniel to myself. I didn't need them here.
“Apostles, huh?” Daniel said. “Never heard of you.”
“That's how we prefer it,” Adon replied.
“We're a bit of a covert group,” said another Apostle, who I don't think I've been introduced to yet.
“Even the Archive has little knowledge of us,” Somebody else said.
“Then why make yourselves known now?” Daniel asked.
“Because you forced their hand, you ass!” I snapped, perhaps a bit bitterly.
“Hey, dude, language,” Daniel replied.
“Stay back!” I said, addressing the Apostles. “He's mine.”
I dropped my gun and drew the clip point knife from my belt.
“Of course,” Adon said calmly. “For now, we are just spectating.”
“But if you screw up,” Lasciel added cheerily, “We'll kill him for you!”
I glared in  her general direction.
“Please calm yourself, Lasciel,” Onre said. “The boy has got this.”
With that, Daniel and I rushed each other. We both got some cuts in, but in the end, he managed to stab my in the side, narrowly missing my stomach. As a matter of fact, he might have missed intentionally.
I cried out, but was silenced quickly when his brass knuckles met my jaw. I went down, clutching at my side. My vision swam in front of my. I was barely conscious. I felt something press against my wound, and a few drops of warm liquid entered my mouth. I focused a bit and realized one of the Apostles was kneeling over me, nursing my wound. I think his name was Lazarus Freign. One of his fingers was dripping blood, and I realized what the liquid in my mouth was. My vision began to blur again, and I heard Daniel speak.
“Look, I don't want things to get any more violent then they already are. I'm sorry about what happened with the Archangel, but you have to understand that he was a monster. He attacked my friends. And my family. I did what I did to protect them. Are you really going to condemn me for that?”
This was my first time hearing his side of the story. All I had been told was that he had killed the Archangel, but I had never learned why. But it didn't matter. The point was that our master was dead, and he was responsible for it. His reasons didn't excuse what he had done.
“Matthew,” I heard Adon say. “If you will.”
Then, Matt Onre spoke, putting power behind his words.
“Drop your knife, and your knuckles,” he said.
It heard a couple metal items clatter to the ground. I struggled to life my head, and looked in his direction. Things were still blurring, but I could see that Daniel was standing before Adon, and that he had another gun in his hand. I couldn't make out what kind it was, but I don't think it was his usual one. His friends started calling to him.
“Tune them out,” Onre ordered.
They continued to call out to him, but he didn't listen. I could barely understand them either, in my current state.
“Now,” Onre said. “I want you to raise that gun to your temple.”
He did. I tried to sit up, but Lazarus held me down.
“No!” I said weakly. “He's supposed to be mine!”
“Calm yourself,” Lazarus said.
Suddenly, Daniel's sheathed sword appeared in his hand.
“Drop that sword,” Onre demanded. “Now.
He didn't. He ignored one of Onre orders. How? How the hell could he do that? As I wondered that, my vision grew even worse. I was almost seeing double, and the wound at my side began throbbing. It wasn't that painful, but it certainly wasn't comfortable.
“Very well,” Onre said, begrudgingly. “In that case, pull the trigger.”
“No,” I muttered. “He's... mine...”
A few seconds passed, in which Daniel did nothing. Then, to everyone's surprise, he turned the gun to Adon and said “Embrace whatever's left of your master!”
Then he pulled the trigger, shooting Adon directly in the forehead. I couldn't make out what exactly happened after that, but I think Adon glowed red for a second, then turned back to Daniel. He was alive. I have no idea how that works, but it's pretty cool, I guess.
“No one has ever ignored Matt Onre's orders,” Adon said. “What are you?”
“You know damn well what I am!” Daniel snapped, outrage filling his voice. “I am Daniel Xavier Ferris. I am the man who killed the Archangel, your god! I am a  god damn Devil Killer! I am-”
Suddenly, bright red light filled my vision, nearly blinding me.
“I am so fucked,” Daniel said.
Then some kind of chaos broke out. I didn't get a good look at any of it before passing out, but I learned later that the Bloody biker had arrived, bringing a hoard of demons with him. The Apostles had fought them off, but by the time the Biker had retreated with his beasts, Daniel and his friends had already escaped. I've been sitting in a room at the Sanctum, recovering from my wounds. Figures. Right when I found Daniel again, he has to slip through my fucking fingers...
Damn it all to hell...

No comments:

Post a Comment