Saturday, December 27, 2014

Adon

I've still been searching for Daniel. Not much luck. Every lead goes cold.
Anyway, I was sitting in a bar, hoping to here something, when I was suddenly pulled into Bliss, and then found myself at Santcum. Three other figures were there.
Nick was leaning against the wall a little while away, swinging his Trinket back and forth. The Trinket is his personal weapon of choice. It's basically a razor edged golden ring, about 4 inches wide, with the twin triangles inside of it. It dangles from a chain so long that he has to wrap most of it around his forearm to prevent it from dragging on the ground. He fights with it, mostly as a ranged or grappling weapon. The chain has a tendency to break, but with his power, he can easily repair it.
Another man stood a distance away from me. I didn't recognize him. He was young, maybe in his late teens, although his hair was already graying. He wore an oversized longcoat, that would probably slide down his shoulders if he hadn't had the second button to the top down up. The sleeves covered his hands completely, and the tail dragged a few inches on the ground behind him.
The third man, standing directly before me, was Adon. It was my first time seeing him this close. He was a whole foot taller than me. He wore a beige business suit, and wore a pendant of the twin triangles around his neck. He had a long, wavy black sword strapped across his back, with no sheath. His eyes and hair were both gold, and reflected the light around us. He didn't breathe. At all. It was a little off-putting.
“Um... Adon, sir,” I said. “It's a pleasure to-”
“No need for formalities,” he said, smiling. “Here, we are equals. Remember that.”
“Um... okay, then,” I said. “Did you have something you wanted to talk to me about?”
“I understand that you've been tasked with the duty of hunting down the Devil Killer,” he said. “How is that going?”
“Not very well,” I admitted.
“And there is another you wishes to beat you to the prize,” he said. “A certain Damien Monroe, correct?”
“You know about that?” I asked.
“Yes,” he said. “Although, as my sources suggest, he has not found Daniel yet, either because he is unable to, or wishes to draw this out for his own amusement.”
“Amusement, huh,” I thought.
“He is a man obsessed with rivalry, and Daniel is the one person who has come closest to killing him,” Adon said. “So, do you think that you can get to Daniel before he does?”
“As long as Daniel dies, I don't care much,” I said. “But I'd like the pleasure of doing it myself.”
“Well, do you have any thoughts of where you can continue your hunt?” he asked, smiling again. It was inda creepy.
“I was thinking...,” I said. “Maybe I need to start at the beginning. Go to where he started out. It would seem logical.”
“Logical indeed,” Adon said. “Daniel began he's struggle against the Fears in Southern California, in a pair of sister towns. Murrieta and Temecula, literal neighbors, in which there are places you can literally cross the street and find yourself in the next town.”
“So that's where I need to go?” I asked.
“Yes,” Adon said. “And Mute here will accompany you.”
He motioned to the man I'd never met before, who stepped forward.
“Mute is in possession of a rare gift,” Adon said. “A blessing from one of the Fears greatest human competitors. He is what's known as-”
“An Emissary,” I finished for him. I turned to the guy called Mute. “You're a servant of the Game Master?”
Mute nodded.
“He was given power by the Game Master, yes,” Adon said. “However, the Game Master was slain before Mute's recruitment could be complete. So we've shown him the kindness of letting him into out circle. He will no doubt be a valuable asset.”
“I see,” I said.
“There is one other matter of business I must discuss with you,” Adon said. He handed me a folded piece of paper. It had only one thing one it; an hourglass and a circle, overlapping each other.
“What is this?” I asked.
“Trouble,” Adon replied. “It's begun cropping up. If you find this symbol anywhere, inform me immediately.”
“How should I contact you?” I asked.
Adon nodded to Mute. Mute nodded back, then he just looked straight at my front pocket, where I kept my cell phone. It vibrated once, and I pulled it out of my pocket. My contact list came up immediately, and I saw that ALL of the Apostles were now on it. Before, I had only had Onre and Nick's numbers, but now the other ten were on my list as well.
“Wow, “I said. “How did-?”
“Like I said,” Adon said. “Mute has a unique and special gift.”
“Oh,” I said.
“Now, go on,” Adon said kindly. “Find your target. End him.”
I nodded to him.
“Embrace eternity,” he said to me.
“Embrace the Archangel,” I replied. It was how we said farewell. I suppose it doesn't mean much anymore, with the Archangel gone, but old habits die hard.
I was sent through Bliss again, and before I knew it I was standing on the sidewalk in a California suburb, with Mute by my side. A sign nearby stated that we were at the Murrieta city limit. Mute looked at my phone again, and a text message appeared their.
I'LL START OFF IN TEMECULA. YOU TAKE MURRIETA. CONTACT ME IF YOU FIND OUT ANYTHING.
“Um, sure thing,” I said. I quickly saved Mute's number to my phone.
He turned and walked off, approaching a cross-walk. The lights changed instantly as he got close, and several cars ground to a halt as they were caught in red lights. Mute simply ignored them and crossed the crosswalk, which was now shining a WALK signal. Interesting. So he had some pretty strong control of technology.
I turned away from him and walked into Murrieta. It was time to get to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment